Featured post

Overland to London - Ephesus to Anzac Cove

  Celsus Library, Ephesus Day 87 (London Day 3)    Wed 20 August     EPHESUS – ANZAC COVE After a night-drive through from Pamukkale we a...

Friday 20 October 2017

Images through a Traveller's Lense - Singapore 1970

Singapore was the first truly foreign city I visited.  I arrived to a cacophony of sound - fireworks, bands, lion dancers, on the eve of the Chinese New Year in February 1970. I was a little bit taken aback and somewhat nervous. In 1970 none of the modernisation that has characterised this maritime crossroads had taken place. Atmospheric Chinatown, with its fascinating street life, still existed. I was staying in the iconic New Seventh Storey Hotel in Rochor Rd, the tallest building in that part of the city which afforded great views over Singapore. 


                          From the restaurant in the upper floor of the New 7th Storey Hotel I
                          able able to view the Dragon dances & fireworks in the Rochor Rd below.

                   
                            In 1970 Singapore was much different from the Singapore of today.
                            From the top floor of the New 7th Storey Hotel there was a clear
                            view of the Sultan Mosque above the old shops of Chinatown.

Next morning, armed with my camera, a Ricoh SLR I set out into the teeming streets of Singapore, at first tentatively, but as time rolled on, with much more confidence. All was new and my biggest regret was only having a limited amount of slide film as I was continuing on, Overland to London over the next couple of months. Although I never saw the result until I reached London, I was generally happy with my photos considering the only film I used was the very slow Kodakchrome ASA25.
                             
                           

                        One of the first sights I saw in the Singapore streets was this late model MG                                       impaled on lamppost in Beach Rd. Perhaps the result of the previous night's binge!

                           

                           The street life in Singapore fascinated me, and I was especially surprised
                            to see well-made fancy coffins being made in a back street.


                             Hawkers stalls & food shops were an eye-opener. The shop, with 
                              smoked chickens hanging for sale did not disappoint. 

         
                           Outside spiral-staircases were a common feature on many appartments
                           in Singapore in the early 1970s. Modern high-rise apartments have now
                           replaced these precarious constructions.

By the time I returned to Singapore 18 years later most of this had disappeared and although I have not been back since, I have be told that all this, including the New 7th-Story Hotel in Rochor Rd has now gone forever.

© Neil Rawlins  text & photography
                      see my books:   One Foot in Front of the Other: First Steps   
                           and:              One Foot in Front of the Other: Full Stride
      These books tell the story of my early travels on the Overland routes in Asia & Africa & also my experiences as a tour leader on the Asian Overland and elsewhere.

             


No comments:

Post a Comment